It is understandable that buying things for premature babies need a little more thought and consideration as they are smaller and more delicate than full-term babies. Luckily when it comes to car safety there are plenty of options available for you to choose from to keep your little one safe.
Read Related Article: 20 Best Car Seat Protector Reviews [year]
|1. Evenflo LiteMax DLX Infant Car seat
|2. Chicco KeyFit 30 Car Seat
|3. Britax B-Safe 35 Elite Car Seat
|4. Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Car Seat
|5. Primo Viaggio Baby Car Seat
|6. Graco Snugride Snuglock 30 Car Seat
|7. Baby Trend EZ Flex Loc Baby Car Seat
|8. UPPAbaby MESA Car seat
|9. Maxi-Cose 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
|10. Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX Car Seat
Our Best Car Seats For Preemies – Reviews and Comparisons
1. Evenflo LiteMax DLX Infant Car seat
The Evenflo LiteMax DLX is snug and compact car seat. It is appropriate for newborns and can see them through until they are 24 months old. The seat is easily adjustable as your baby grows.
- Suitable for infants from 4lbs to 35lbs in weight
- Very lightweight and weighs only 7 lbs making it super easy to carry around
- Easy to slide harness for quick and smooth adjustments
- The car seat had been tested in roll over accidents and is found to be effectively safe
- The safe zone load leg reduces crash impacts by 50%
- There is an indicator on the side of the seat that shows you if you have placed the seat in the right position safely and securely
- The Suresafe installation system is twice as secure
What We Like About Evenflo LiteMax DLX Infant Car seat
High quality that goes above and beyond safety standards. Very sturdy for such a lightweight car seat. The extended leg keeps the whole base really sturdy during minor bumps and more serious crashes.
You can install the seat quite easily, even when you’re in a rush, which is really convenient especially if you have other children to attend to as well.
What We Don’t Like About Evenflo LiteMax DLX Infant Car seat
The car seat is rear-facing only which is ideal when your baby is a newborn, but not so suitable as the baby gets older.
The seat is big, so if you have a small car the Evenflo seat takes up a lot of room. It is not easy to install in some cars.
- Suitable for babies weighing 4lbs
- Sturdy and doesn’t wobble about
- Roll-over proof
- It is a little bulky
- Rear facing only
2. Chicco KeyFit 30 Car Seat
The Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat is easy to use a car seat suitable for babies between 4lbs and 30lbs.
- It comes with a removable body positioner that supports newborns’ and smaller babies’ heads
- Includes a Super Cinch tightener that allows you to tighten and loosen the seat
- Includes a bubble level that aids in correct seat installation and adjustment
- Tighten the 5 point harness with just one pull
- Breathable 3D airmesh provides ventilation
What We Like About Chicco KeyFit 30 Car Seat
The car seat handle moves quietly without waking up your little one. Safely carries smaller babies without specially made inserts.
The bubble level on the side reassures parents that they are installing the seat correctly. The material is thick and easy to clean.
What We Don’t Like About Chicco KeyFit 30 Car Seat
As your baby gets taller and heavier the car seat becomes less and less comfortable for the baby. The release handle is located inconveniently at the back of the car seat making it difficult to operate.
The car seat as a whole is rather heavy and hard to move around. Another major downfall is that it doesn’t provide much shade for babies and could make them restless during a car journey.
- Baby won’t get hot and bothered in the seat
- Adjusting the seat is easy
- Can clip and unclip from the car quietly
- Comfortably fits small babies
- Release handle is hard to reach
- Limited shade in the car for the baby
3. Britax B-Safe 35 Elite Car Seat
Britax focuses on keeping your child cool and comfortable during car journeys. It is built with you and your baby in mind.
- Suitable for babies between 4 lbs-35 lbs
- Thick, two layered side impact protection pads on either side of the babies’ head
- Impact absorbing base
- Quick latch connectors for placing and removing the seat quickly
- 6 adjustable harness positions
What We Like About Britax B-Safe 35 Car Seat
Study and reliable construction with an adjustable base that makes life easy.
The seat feels very safe even while driving on bumpy roads. It looks and feels a heavy duty in comparison to other car seats without having the added weight to it.
What We Don’t Like About Britax B-Safe 35 Car Seat
It is heavy to carry around without the attachable stroller. Only compatible with Britax strollers so you will probably end up needing to get a complete set.
There is rough stitching located where your baby’s headrests, which is uncomfortable for some babies. The seat bumps and moves around on uneven roads.
- The two layered side cushions protect your babies head
- Secure harness
- Sturdy base
- Protects small babies during crashes
- Very heavy
- Some babies skin gets irritated by the stitching
4. Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Car Seat
The Grow and Go car seat are designed to adapt and grow with your child. If you don’t want to keep changing your car seat once your baby grows this is the one for you.
- Baby rear facing car seat for babies and toddlers between 5lbs-40lbs
- Toddler forward facing seat from 22lbs-65lbs
- Can be used as a booster seat for children between 40lbs-100lbs
- Removable car seat that can be washed very easily
- Harness holders allow you to contain a child that is resisting doing what they are told in the seat
- Two cup holders for older toddlers to place their drinks
- Meets ASTM and JPMA safety regulations
What We Like About Safety 1st Grow and Go Car Seat
Babies and toddlers sleep comfortably on car journeys as their heads are supported the whole time. Two handy drinks holders where you can put snacks in one holder and a drink in the other. You certainly will be getting your money’s worth as the car seat conveniently grows with your child.
What We Don’t Like About Safety 1st Grow and Go Car Seat
The bottom anchors snap off if you are in an accident. It is also hard to tighten the strap tight enough to fit a newborn baby. When the baby is a little bigger and you can start to have the seat forward-facing, it can be fiddly to install.
- Invest in one car seat for your child from birth until 100lbs
- Baby is well supported in the seat
- Children can sleep comfortably
- Easy to wash the seat
- Straps are stiff
- Hard to install
5. Primo Viaggio Baby Car Seat
The Primo Viaggio car seat is suitable for small babies between 4lbs and 35lbs. Its shell design lets your baby feel snug and safe in their seat.
- Handles help move the seat in and out of position without fuss if the base isn’t in use
- Car seat offers extra support for small newborns heads and bottoms
- Belt path is color coded so there is no confusion during installation
- You can adjust the side impact protection pads to fit your little one properly
- Is compatible with Peg Perego strollers
What We Like About Primo Viaggio Car Seat
The side impact head protection keeps the baby comfortable during long journeys and safe in case of an accident. It is compatible with other strollers without needing an adapter. In general, it is very easy to install and super comfortable for premature babies.
What We Don’t Like About Primo Viaggio Car Seat
The car seat is difficult to adjust and has a stiff handle. The seat is also heavy to lift in and out of the car. The buckle is light and is easy to break.
Getting the baby in and out of the car seat is a hassle and wakes a sleeping baby, which is the last thing you want after a long car journey.
- Premature babies are comfortable and safe
- Babies and toddlers can sleep on the journey
- Heavy so it can’t be carried around by hand for long
- Hard to adjust
6. Graco Snugride Snuglock 30 Car Seat
Click your car seat in and out of your car with no fuss. Protects babies that weigh between 4 and 30 lbs when placed in the rear-facing seat.
- Compatible with all Graco Range strollers
- 5 point safety harness
- Comes with a removable head and body support to keep your little one comfortable during the early stages
- Rear facing seat, the safest way to travel with your newborn
What We Like About Graco Snugride Snuglock 30
Placing the baby in the seat and taking them out is very straight forward. The incline option gives babies extra comfort when they get restless.
Setting up the seat is easy as it isn’t bulky or hard to move. Most importantly, premature babies are supported properly.
What We Don’t Like About Graco Snugride Snuglock 30
The seat is made with a number of different fabric combinations, some of which aren’t soft enough for babies with sensitive skin and you must use it with strap pads. Keep in mind that this newer Graco car seat model is not compatible with the older Graco strollers.
- Plenty of support for small babies
- Can recline
- Safe and secure 5 point harness
- Clicks into Graco strollers
- New models are not compatible with older stroller models
- Straps are hard and need to be kept padded
7. Baby Trend EZ Flex Loc Baby Car Seat
Impact-absorbing, easy to use car seats for moms and dads on the go. Suitable for babies between 5lbs – 35lbs.
- The base has flexible latch straps
- Your little one’s head is protected with a soft head support
- Carrying handle is smooth and won’t irritate you when you carry the seat
- An adjustable 5 point safety harness
- Base can be adjusted to the height you want
What We Like About EZ Flex Loc Baby Car Seat
Mounting is simple to install in any vehicle. Newborns find it soft and comfortable regardless if they have sensitive skin or not.
The base is easy to tighten and adjust and feels secure in the car with or without the base. If you have a smaller car it will still fit nicely without taking up too much room.
What We Don’t Like About Product Name
The fact that it is so lightweight makes it feel flimsy. If you are a first-time parent you may find the base tricky to place safely in the car. Locking it together is tricky when you have your hands full or are busy with other children too.
Limited use: while it is most suited for babies from newborn until 4 months old, after that the seat is too small for babies.
- Light weight
- Soft head support for newborns
- Smooth carrying handle for comfortable carrying
- Great for small cars
- Can’t be used once your baby is over 35lbs
- The base is fiddly to install
8. UPPAbaby MESA Car seat
A lightweight and compact carrier that is perfect for babies from 4lbs to 35lbs. Moms and dads of small or premature babies can travel by this car seat without worrying about their babies.
- The carrier weighs under 10 lbs
- Can be attached to VISTA and CRUZ strollers without the need for adapters
- Seat includes a SPF hideaway canopy and a stroller release button
- Made of material that keeps your baby warm in the winter and cool in the summer
- You can adjust the headrest to suit your baby for optimal head protection
- You can remove the fabric and put it in the machine whenever it gets dirty
What We Like About UPPAbaby MESA Car Seat
User-friendly and easy to install in most modern cars, which helps a lot if you are always strapped for time on the go. Attaching it to and removing it from the stroller is easy too.
Your baby’s head won’t flop from side to side as the head is very well supported. Stains come off easily in the wash.
What We Don’t Like About UPPAbaby MESA Car Seat
The material keeps babies warm but doesn’t cool them down in hot weather well making them sweat on long car journeys.
The straps are short and can be very tight as your baby grows bigger. The harness release button is directly on the baby’s stomach so you must use two hands to release the harness.
- Lightweight at under 10lbs
- Compatible with other strollers in addition to UPPAbaby strollers
- Seat cover is easy to wash
- Adjustable headrest
- The fabric may make your baby sweat
- Not possible to unbuckle the baby with one hand
9. Maxi-Cose 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
Maxi-Cosi is a household name, almost every parent has had contact with the brand in one way or another. The 3-in-1 convertible car seat is designed to stay with your child from birth, right up until they reach 100 lbs.
- Made to grow with your baby, from birth to the age of 10
- Made with energy absorbing foam
- Machine washable
- Can be put in the dryer
- Harness holders make putting your child in the car and taking them out much easier for you
- One click harness
What We Like About Maxi-Cosi Car Seat
Padding is soft and cloud-like. Everything can be adjusted to the size of your little one. Babies can sleep during rides comfortably and peacefully too.
What We Don’t Like About Maxi-Cosi Car Seat
It is hard to get the headrest to the right level. The harness does not tighten all the way and the buckles catch on the baby’s clothing.
- One car seat for all of your child’s growing needs
- Quickly and easily buckles and unbuckles
- Absorbs shock from crashes
- Machine washable
- Fiddly to get the baby in and out of
- If your baby is small they need to be strapped in all the way
10. Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX Car Seat
The Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX car seat is perfect for newborns that are as light as 4lbs and for toddlers as heavy as 65lbs. It is designed to give maximum protection during a crash.
- Easy to adjust
- 5 point harness that buckles up in 3 locations
- Side padding for head protection
- Machine washable fabric
What We Like About Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX
Lightweight and easy to carry when not in a stroller. Comfortable for the kids, even on long journeys as the seats are padded.
What We Don’t Like About Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX
The seat is difficult to install and feels unstable. It never seems to sit right when it is rear-facing. It offers terrible lower back support for older children.
- Sufficient padding for small babies
- Small enough to not feel cramped in a little car
- Easy to buckle and unbuckle the baby one handed
- Bad back support
- Isn’t as easy to use when rear facing
And finally… the winner of this car seat showdown is the Maxi-Cosi 3-in-1 car seat. As we all know, children grow fast and you will be saving yourself the hassle of buying a car seat every 6 months.
You can wash any mess your baby makes in the seat by throwing the cover in the washing machine and dryer. Your baby is well protected with the maximum amount of adjustable padding, giving you some reassurance when you’re on the road.
Read Other Related Article: Baby Hates Car Seat What Can I Do?