You probably found your way here because you’re looking for the best baby scale for breastfeeding and weighted feeds.
If that’s the case, relax and pour yourself a cup of coffee because this is THE place to be.
I’ve spent the better part of the past decade researching and writing about baby gear, and I know my stuff.
I understand that I sound cocky and tooting my own horn, but in a space packed with quasi-experts, you have to be direct about your credentials.
With that out of the way, let’s get to the part that you’re actually interested in.
Below are my top 3 best scales for breastfeeding and weighted feeds.
Best scales for breastfeeding and weighted feeds
|Image||Best UPPAbaby Mesa Alternatives||Features||Price|
|Hatch Baby Grow Smart||SEE NOW|
|Health o Meter Grow with Me||SEE NOW|
|Smart Weigh Comfort Baby||SEE NOW|
Best scale for breastfeeding and weighted feeds overall – Hatch Baby Grow Smart
Specs of the scale
|Size (inches)||29 x 16 x 3.5|
|Weight (in pounds)||7.5|
|Baby weight range (in pounds)||up to 44|
|Batteries||3 AA batteries required.|
Key features of the Hatch Baby Grow
- 2 in 1 functionality (changing pad and scale) – you save money and space.
- Precise to the 0.25 oz (one of the most precise scales on the market) – there’s confidence in knowing you got the weight right every time.
- The app is multifunctional – it tracks everything from weight, to feeding time for each side, wet/dry nappies, and more.
- Safety strap – it will keep your baby securely in place (we all know how they can get before feeds and during weighings).
- Easy setup – it pretty much comes ready to use.
- Rubber anti-slip pads – this keeps it in place and prevents slipping, even on moist surfaces.
- Easy to clean – just use wipes, it literally takes a few seconds.
- Soft foam finish – provides extra comfort and is never too cold to the touch.
What makes it my top pick for weighted feeds
This is one of the most precise baby scales I have ever seen.
It’s the precision balanced with the comfort that stands out in terms of weighted feeds.
These are the four main points that made it my top choice:
- Your baby will get used to spending time on the pad every time you change the nappies, so there will be no stress at all when it is time to check the weight.
- It’s so easy to set up; there are literally no parts to assemble. Just get it out of the box, install the app, pair the devices, and you are ready to go.
- The app is impressive – it’s basically the only baby app you’ll need to track everything related to weight, and more.
- It is never too cold, although I sometimes do use the Hatch waterproof pad liners for extra comfort.
Bottom line – since this gem came out, it’s been all the rage and I can see why. It’s beautiful and comfy. Its minimalist design makes it a good fit for (almost) any nursery style.
What could be improved?
The only thing that’s a bit of a hassle is changing the batteries (you’ll need a screwdriver).
Runner-up – Health o Meter Grow with Me 2 in 1 Baby to Toddler Scale with Growth Chart Book
Specs of the Health o Meter Grow with Me
|Size (inches)||12.6 x 9.06 x 23.03|
|Weight (in pounds)||8.05|
|Baby weight range (in pounds)||up to 60|
|Batteries|| 1 9V battery|
Defining features of the scale:
- Security lock – it will provide the perfect stability of the tray
- Hold feature – it will give you an accurate reading even if your baby never stops moving.
- Easy to adjust for toddlers – just remove the tray, and it converts to a scale for toddlers
- High 60-lbs capacity – you get more use out of it than you would out of an average scale.
- Large LCD – easy to read during a weighted feed.
Why I love this scale
There’s much to be liked here…loved even.
Two things stand out:
- It’s accurate – you can be completely sure about the numbers it shows.
- Runs on a 9 V battery and doesn’t drain them – it will last for ages even with multiple weighings every day.
Bottom line: If you want a sturdy and durable scale you will use for years, give this one a closer look. It’s multifunctional, designed to make weighted feeds easy and weighing toddlers a fun time.
It’s as good as it gets in this price range.
One caveat about the texture and cleaning the scale
The tray has small holes that can be difficult to clean if your baby decides that the few seconds it will spend on it are the perfect time to make a complete mess.
This one’s easy to solve, just do the weighings in nappies.
Smart Weigh Comfort – third best scale for weighted feeds and breastfeeding
Specs of the Smart Weigh Comfort Baby Scale
|Smart Weigh Comfort Baby Scale, 44 Pound Capacity, 3 Weighing Modes, Accurate Digital Scale for Infants, Toddlers, and Babies|
|Size(inches)||21.5 x 12.5 x 1.4|
|Weight(in pounds)||3.8 pounds|
|Batteries||3 AAA batteries required.|
- Compact design – very thin which makes it is easy to store
- Easy to use – there are no complicated parts, just take it out of the box and it is ready to go
- Smooth, durable surfaces – easily cleaned in seconds
- Auto-off function – you don’t have to worry about battery life, the Smart weigh will turn off on its own.
- Three weighing modes – it shows the weight in pounds, kilograms or stone so you don’t have to calculate and convert units
What I like about it?
This is the fastest scale out there, made by a company that’s well-known for medical-grade scales used in hospitals.
Why is it on my top list for breastfeeding and weighted feeds?
Here are the two main reasons:
- Very fast and precise readings – when the baby is hungry, we all know every second counts.
- It has a back-lit display – you can easily do a weighted feed during the night without turning the lights on.
In short, it’s accurate, practical, lightweight, affordable and so thin you can store it almost anywhere.
What could be better?
It might freak some moms out as it is completely flat and has no additional safety features so it can seem/look unsafe.
Methodology – how I choose the top 3 scales for weighted feeds and breastfeeding
As 1 in 10 babies in the US are born pre-term. That’s the main reasons why I had to be extra diligent when choosing scale to recommend for weighted feeds.
I was very strict and aimed for zero compromises.
I initially considered dozens of solid scales and I narrowed down the list again and again until only three winners were left.
There are 6 factors I looked at to get the winner:
- Precision – the smallest weight difference that the scale can detect
- Accuracy – test weighs with an item of known weight
- Stability – it affects the accuracy of the read and the safety of your baby
- Safety – no need to explain this one
- Easy use – even with a cranky, hungry baby on it
- Price – how much of a dent it will leave in the nursery budget
I awarded each scale 1-3 points in each category. Below are the results.
Hatch Baby Grow – 15 points
There are two categories where the overall winner didn’t get the max points – the price and ease of use.
Two points for ease of use
It has no display, so you will have to hold and look at your phone while weighing your baby.
Other than that it ran through the finish line and took a nap before the others caught up.
And the benefits don’t end there with this one:
- This scale/changing pad is designed to stay in place, and that makes it more accurate and safe.
- I love the design – it will add a dash of style to any nursery.
- The app is simply amazing which is such a big plus! I could talk about it for days.
- It can track your baby’s wet/dry diapers, you can schedule your feeds and time them (for both sides). It tracks everything! It even tracks the baby’s sleep patterns.
- You’ll know exactly how much the baby ate without having to calculate or remember any numbers. The app does all the hard work so you can relax.
For me, this is the superior scale when every gram counts.
Health o Meter Grow with Me – 12 points
Even though it ended up in the second place on this list, the “Weigh Bear” as I call it, will give you the biggest bang for your buck in the long run.
I talked to people who owned this scale for over 2 years now and literately can’t remember when they last changed the batteries.
Color me impressed!
If you aren’t starting weighted feeds as soon as your baby is born, but just a couple of weeks later, then this might be the perfect scale for you.
By that time the difference in precision will be no issue at all.
Smart Weigh Comfort Baby – 12 points
Don’t get me wrong, this is a high-quality scale, but it’s a bit fussy about the surface so it can be tricky to find a perfectly leveled spot for it.
It would be in the second place if I was only looking at the precision.
Still, it’s too light for my liking.
It can move if the baby is not still and that will interfere with the feeding, That’s why I had to add an extra point to its total score.
A few extra tips about choosing the right scale
A word about the batteries
To save a bit, I suggest you buy two sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger.
With that said, I must add that if you suddenly start getting strange readings, please, don’t panic.
It might just be time to change the batteries, or simply reposition your scale.
Whatever you do, don’t improvise…
I can’t believe I am actually writing this, but I’ve seen and heard it all.
The most common question I get is: Can I use a different type of scale?
The answer to this one is: Of course you can, but you’ll get different results!
Can you imagine weighing your precious newborn on a fish scale?
Sounds unimaginable, but I have seen it!
I do understand that we sometimes must be resourceful when money is tight, but PLEASE do not risk safety for any amount of cash!
Bottom line – it’s not all about the numbers
Each baby eats and grows at a slightly different pace, so there is no need for stress while there is progress.
We all want the best for our children, and there is nothing better for a kid than happy and relaxed parents!.
That is precisely why we opt for weighted feeds, not to add but to reduce stress.
It is supposed to make our lives easier by helping us follow and enjoy our baby’s progress day by day.
A good scale goes along way in that process.