The two big names when it comes to highly reliable baby car seats are Chicco and Britax. These two companies are globally known and preferred by new parents as well as hot hats.
Picking the best and most reliable car seat is crucial as it bothers a lot with your baby’s safety.
Both of them have been manufacturing childcare products globally. Their products include strollers, car seats, high chair and other accessories. We will be comparing both seats in details to give you an idea of which one to choose between the two. You can also check out our post about hot car death prevention.
When it comes to safety, quality as well as reliability, Britax brand is what you need. Britax has been manufacturing automotive safety gear since 1938; they took their name from British accessories and modernized it to “Britax”.
Till 1970, they have been producing seatbelts as well as motorcycle accessories. They started manufacturing baby seats, and then acquired other companies like Romer and Safe-n-sound, and became the giant of the game.
Overview of Chicco
Chicco came after Britax. It was founded in the year 1958 and is a brand of an Italian company that goes by the name of Artsana Group.
The founder of Chicco started Chicco after his son was born and he wanted to create a brand that works best for childcare. And now it is the most known and acclaimed brand of Italy that operates globally and supplies its produce to more than 120 countries around the world.
The two companies have solid histories to back up the success of their products.
Comparison between Britax and Chicco Car Seats
In terms of features, they have almost the same products list – they both manufacture convertible car seats, booster seats as well as infant car seats.
But Britax is one step ahead with their Combination Harness-2-Booster Seats. Both brands also make travel systems that can be fitted with their car seats. So, let’s go into the comparison.
Yes, both of them have FAA approval so you can fly with them. However, all Britax car seats have the approval whereas KeyFit, NextFit and KeyFit 30 are the only models of Chicco that have the FAA approval.
Car Seat Safety
Car seats go through a strict checking process before they are released to the market. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards mandate by the law that any car seat made for infants should have the following:
- Durable security harness,
- Impact protection from either side,
- Foam that’s adaptable to absorb energy
- Safety pullouts that are removable.
Both brands have these features and have approval as well. Moreover, Britax went beyond the safety measure of federal safety standards, by installing SafeCell Impact Protection in their products. This adds extra security and protection in case of an unfortunate event.
Comparison of New-born Car-Seat Base
Both of them have this innovation. Both companies’ infant seats can be with or without the base. The car seat base enables easy and quick installation as well as removal. You can buy these separately as well. They come fitted with a leveler that helps you get the right position every time.
Infant car seat comparison: Britax B Safe 35 vs Chicco Key Fit 30
Britax B Safe 35 Elite
- Weight of the seat: 11.5lbs
- Weight of the base: 9lbs
- Maximum weight of the baby: 4-35lbs
- Maximum height of the baby: 32 inches
- Dimensions of the infant car-seat: 17.75″ W x 25″ H x 26.5″ D
- Double-layered side protection and adjustable head protection.
- Impact absorbent base, as well as Impact steadying frame work.
- Safe-Center latch Fitting, quick and easy
- Spring recline for easy angle modification and adjustment
- Comes with double indications to help you adjust the seat angled correctly
- Adjustable harness height for when the baby grows taller.
- 2 position adaptable buckle as the baby grows bulkier.
- Plush foam stuffing and materials for deluxe ease and comfort for the baby.
- Cover removes with removing the harness
- Extra body pad that cushions the baby, also removable.
- Comes with a large canopy for sun and rain protection.
- As the seat adjusts to the height of the baby, you will not have to take it apart as the baby grows.
- Has exceptional safety features
- Compared to Chicco the width and height limits are higher
- Comes with a larger canopy than Chicco
- Not enough room when the baby grows
- Has narrow space best suited for thin babies
Chicco Key Fit 30 Zip
- Weight of the seat: 9lbs
- Weight of the base: 8lbs
- Maximum weight of the baby: 4-30lbs
- Maximum height of the baby: 30 inches
- Dimensions of the infant car-seat: 17.2″ W x 15″ H x 28.5″ D
- The seat has been fitted with ReclineSure that helps to adjust the seat with adjusts to fit with the car’s seat angle
- Also comes with the SuperCinch single-pull LATCH
- Has a Removable padded insert to accommodate a small baby
- Has a machine-washable seat pad that can be easily installed and removed
- Also has a Zip canopy, zip visor as well as a zip boot for convenience
- Has been fitted with energy-absorbing padding that is durable in case of collision or hard impact
- Easy exclusion from stroller as well as base
- Base has a smooth underside to protect the upholstery of the car seat
- Also has a zip feature that adds convenience
- Quick removal and easy clean-up by machine wash
- Lighter than Britax
- Canopy doesn’t work as smoothly as the Britax one does.
- Weight limit is lower than Britax as well
- Stiff zippers that are reported hard to use.
- Zippers are a little difficult to use for some.
This review was conducted to provide you with best comparison of the Britax vs Chicco infant car seat. The review will help you choose the best seat between the two.
Both have great features but Britax has a tad bit more when it comes to infant car seats, all the products have FAA approval as well, and it has been providing service for longer than the Chicco brand.